You know, we now live in a world with a multitude of choices. For most of us we are faced with an annual major decision: when booking a holiday, how do I get the best value for my hard earned dollars? As this is often our only once a year opportunity to take a break from work and “get away from it all” we should be shopping very carefully for that product that is going to give us an experience that will last until it’s time for the next holiday, ideally longer.
When shopping for tours, particularly in destinations you are unfamiliar with, the challenges are even greater! So where to start?
Firstly – Research your destination choices, factors to be considered should include:
- What type of experience am I looking for?
- Will it fit into my holiday time frame?
- Is it reachable and achievable?
- Do I have the budget for what I want?
- Is it the right season to visit?
Once you have decided on your experience, start researching your destination choices based on what you have so far established. Now that you have also decided on a destination, thoroughly research that specific destination. if you are going to commit a significant amount of time, energy and dollars, don’t you think you should know exactly what’s in it for you?
Up to this point you have taken all the right steps towards planning your holiday experience. OK, so now it’s time to choose a tour! Again some very important research and planning needs to be followed here to gain that dollar value, and of course ensure you are 100% satisfied by the time you get to the other side!
Some important tips;
- Don’t just focus on cost, remember it’s more about “bang for your buck”
- Check itineraries thoroughly to ensure they include all you want to see and do
- Warning! be very wary of ‘free days’ offered in some operator’s itineraries. You are paying a daily rate for a daily service. Yes?
- Be certain of the company credibility along with the integrity and experience of its guides.
A lot of experience should go into planning and delivering a quality visitor experience, you can’t offset experiences with cheap pricing or incapable guides. Remember, this is your once a year holiday that you are devoting lots of time and energy into ensuring it is safe, fun, fulfilling, rewarding, and above all, a lifetime memory!
Happy planning and holidays!